At St. John’s, we recognize the impact technology has on the lives of children, and our position and approach is one of thoughtful, deliberate, strategic, and meaningful technology presence in the school setting.
- Technology can be an excellent teaching tool.
- Research into the impact of technology on children is divided.
- Some schools require parents to purchase expensive technology platforms as a condition of enrollment.
- Many schools claim to be at the forefront of technology integration.
- More than a few schools invest heavily without careful research.
- Mandates don't work.
- The heart of a truly great educational experience is a dynamic curriculum.
- The mix of technology and young people is a potentially highly combustible one.
- Truly great schools have a clear and well-communicated vision for technology.
Technology integration at St. John’s will be age and developmentally appropriate, and overseen in a way that as much as possible protects our students from associated pitfalls and dangers. Our investment in children will always exceed our investment in technology, including helping them learn how to ‘harness’ technology appropriately and safely so they know how to be good digital citizens.
Technology offers educators the opportunity to serve children in ways not possible before. It also brings unprecedented challenges for teachers and parents, as well as risks to children. Given the arguably unparalleled role of technology in the life of children, schools should seek the active participation of and partnership with parents in developing educational technology that is authentic and meaningful for every student user.
St. John’s will not engage in the tech version of ‘keeping up with the Jones,’ the practice of making educational decisions based on what other schools are doing (or claim to be doing) with technology. Instead, our strategy will carefully and deliberately identify and invest in appropriate technology that enhances our curriculum and serves the needs of our students. We know them individually and will develop and tailor technology integration accordingly. In this way, we will be at the (genuinely) leading edge of technology integration.